The National Council of Jewish Women is a volunteer organization that has been at the forefront of social change for over a century. Inspired by Jewish values, NCJW courageously takes a progressive stance on issues such as child welfare, women’s rights, and reproductive freedom.
Founded in 1893 by Hannah G. Solomon, the National Council of Jewish Women is the oldest national Jewish women’s volunteer organization in America. With over a century long history, purposeful mission and dedicated members in communities across the nation, the National Council of Jewish Women continues to make an impact on vital issues affecting women in all walks of life.
ABOUT BERGEN COUNTY SECTION
In 1923, fourteen women formed the Bergen County Section of NCJW, meeting at first at the Hebrew Institute in Hackensack, then at the Odd Fellows Hall, and finally at the newly constructed YMCA. In the late 40s, 50s, and 60s, Teaneck membership consisted of approximately 500 members ranging in age from 20 through 80 plus. The Board of forty women met monthly in their homes for refreshments and serious agendas. Members resided in Teaneck, Ridgefield Park, Hackensack, Maywood and Bogota. The name was changed in March 1957 to Teaneck Section. In 1981, Teaneck Section became Greater Teaneck Section, to reflect the Section’s increasing geographic diversity.
In 1948, a small group of women living in the Northern Valley area chose to form a new section, Northern Valley Section of NCJW. That membership included women from Englewood, Tenafly, Englewood Cliffs, Closter, Demarest and Haworth. Initially, meetings were held in the evenings in Leonia, but soon moved to the Jewish Community Center of Englewood where membership rapidly grew to over 350 by 1958 thanks to innovative service and education programs, and fundraising activities.
In 1992, Northern Valley Section came full circle and merged with Greater Teaneck Section, bringing the membership to over 1,100. The commitment to service, education and advocacy continued with renewed vigor.
In June 2003, Mid-Bergen Section merged with the Greater Teaneck Section to form a combined organization that has more than 1,200 members. The name change to Bergen County Section brings the Greater Teaneck Section back to its roots and serves to emphasize not only the expanded membership and geographic area, but the expanded volunteer activities as well.